These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Fried Green Tomatoes
From Stones River Market
<p>This recipe comes from an old issue of Southern Living. If you wish, you can skip the first step of dredging tomatoes in flour before dipping in buttermilk and egg mixture. However I like to try a recipe as directed for the first time, then make modifications to taste.</p>Source: Southern Living (Entered by Kathleen and Ken Ferris)
Serves: Serves 2 or 3 people.
Step by Step Instructions
- Combine beaten egg and buttermilk; set aside.
- Combine 1/4 c. flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper in shallow bowl.
- Pour oil into large cast iron skillet to depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inches. Begin heating over low temperature.
- Dredge sliced tomatoes in remaining 1/4 c. flour.
- Dip tomatoes in buttermilk mixture.
- Dip tomatoes in cornmeal mixture.
- When oil reaches 375 degrees, fry tomatoes about 2 minutes on each side, until golden.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with more salt if desired.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings