These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Lemon Thyme Quick Bread
From Athens Locally Grown
<p>This recipe takes two bowls, and sounds more complicated than it really is. For any true lover of lemon flavors, this makes a special addition to a memorable meal!</p>Source: An old family recipe (Entered by Janice Matthews)
Serves: 1 loaf
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. While it is heating, cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl, then add eggs, beating well after each.
- Mix in lemon rind, 2 T. of the juice, and lemon thyme. (*Save the rest of the juice for the glaze; see below.)
- In a second bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. * Flour can be either all unbleached all-purpose flour, or a half-and-half mix of unbleached and whole wheat. (All whole wheat gets a bit heavy.)
- Add the dry ingredients from bowl two into bowl one, alternately with the milk, mixing just until batter is smooth and blended.
- Grease and flour an 8x41/2 inch loaf pan, and pour in the batter. Bake for 55 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Let bread stand in the pan for 5 minutes before turning it out.
- **Totally optional but yummy -- Mix the remaining 2 T. of lemon juice with 1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar. Then pour this glaze over the warm loaf.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings