These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
New Garlic and Semolina Soup
From Athens Locally Grown
<p>A beautifully smooth, simple soup with multiple variations featuring young garlic. The original recipe calls for chicken broth, but vegetable broth can easily be substituted.</p>Source: "The Art of Simple Food" by Alice Waters, pg. 251 (Entered by Geoff Lewis)
Serves: About 2 quarts or 4-6 servings
Step by Step Instructions
- In a heavy soup pot, bring broth, herb bouquet and salt to a boil.
- Stirring constantly with a whisk, sprinkle in semolina. Lower the heat and continue stirring until the semolina is suspended in the broth and no longer settles to the bottom, about 5 minutes.
- Add finely chopped green garlic and cook at a simmer, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, for 20 min.
- Discard the herb bouquet, taste for salt, adjust as needed, and serve hot.
- Variations: Add cooked, chopped spinach (or chard) to the bowl when serving; float shavings of Parmesan or pecorino cheese on top of each serving; float a little herb butter on top of each serving; add 1 cup shelled peas or thinly sliced snap peas after 13 min. of cooking.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings