These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Lemon Verbena Tea Bread
From CSA Farmers Market
<p>After being smitten by the fragrance of lemon verbena, I searched for ways to use it. (I really searched, this was before computers)I knew I had nailed it on the first try when I smelled it baking. It has been a holiday tradition ever since.</p>Source: No idea. Whoever invented it is dead now. I would like to call her the Lemon Verbena Angel (Entered by Teresa Cheely)
Serves: One loaf.
Step by Step Instructions
- Butter a loaf pan. preheat oven at 325 degrees.
- Heat the milk with the herbs. Set pan aside to cool. Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream butter and gradually add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add lemon rind.
- Beat in milk mixture alternately with flour mixture just until blended. Pour in prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes. Check for doness at 40 minutes using wooden toothpick.
- While bread is baking, make glaze by combining the juice of 2 lemons and enough confectioners sugar to make a pourable paste. Pour over hot bread.
- Mini loaf pans can be used. Fill 2/3 full and adjust baking time accordingly.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings