These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Pico De Gallo
From Dothan, Alabama
<p>Fresh seasonal tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, onions, cilantro make this starter perfect on a hot day as a summer snack or entire meal with tortilla chips. Also, can be used in a number of dishes: tacos, quesadillas , eggs, chicken or beans.</p> <p>Equal amounts of tomatoes, jalapeños, onions and cilantro is the secret to what makes pico de gallo work.</p>Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks (Entered by Amanda Mueller)
Step by Step Instructions
- Dice onions fine
- Dice equal amount of tomatoes
- Chop equal amount of Cilantro
- Slice 1 or 2 jalapeños in half. With a spoon scoop out seeds. For spiciness, leave in some of the white membrane.
- Dice up jalapeños very fine.
- Combine all four ingredients (equal amounts) in a bowl.
- Slice a lime in half and squeeze juice from half a lime into the bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and stir together until combined. Taste pico de gallo to adjust seasonings, adding salt or jalapeños if needed.
- It's best to make pico de gallo the same day you want to serve it.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings