These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Orzo Pasta Salad with Beets and Chard
From Fresh Harvest, LLC
<p>From the June 12, 2011, newsletter.</p>Source: Fresh Harvest (Entered by Peg Duthie)
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat the pine nuts or walnuts in a dry skillet, over medium heat, until they begin to brown. Watch them carefully, as they will burn in a flash.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Peel the beets and slice them into bite-sized pieces.
- Chop up the chard stems and leaves.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced red onion and garlic. Cook until the onions are tender and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add the chard. Cover and cook, tossing occasionally, until the greens are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the beets in a pot of boiling salted water, until just tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the beets from the pot using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Return the water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook, according to the package instructions, until al dente and then drain.
- Add the orzo to a bowl, along with the beets, pine nuts, chard and crumbled feta. Toss, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings