These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
New Orleans style Shrimp Creole (etouffee)
From Stones River Market
<p>Delicious and different way to cook shrimp, in a creamy tomato sauce. One key ingredient is English thyme.</p>Source: I found this recipe in a magazine during the early 1960s. Supposedly it came from Brennan's, a famous New Orleans restaurant. It has been a family favorite ever since. (Entered by Kathleen and Ken Ferris)
Serves: 4 - 6
Step by Step Instructions
- Saute onions, garlic and celery in butter/oil until transparent.
- Add flour and stir while browning.
- Add water, tomato sauce, bay leaves, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes, or until sauce has reached desired consistency. Thin with a little water if necessary, but not too much for sauce should be pretty thick.
- Add shrimp and thyme leaves. Stir and cook on low for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with parsleyed rice. Garnish shrimp with boiled eggs. Cooked spinach with a little butter makes a nice accompanying dish.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings