These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
From Athens Locally Grown
<p>Herbs and garlic give this easy-to-make salad* especially good flavor. It’s a hearty salad that can double as a main dish, good at any time of year, and very attractive served over a red (or green) lettuce leaf, with additional oil and vinegar dressing served on the side. *(Even though it looks like a lot of ingredients, the salad can go from start to table in under an hour, and that includes its time in the fridge!)</p>Source: "Veganomicon: the Ultimate Vegan Cookbook" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero (Entered by Janice Matthews)
Serves: 4 hearty servings
Step by Step Instructions
- Bring to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan: broth, thyme, bay leaves, garlic cloves, tarragon, and salt. Add lentils, return to low boil. Cover pot with lid tilted, allowing a little room for steam to escape. Let cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Lentils should be soft enough to eat but still firm enough not to lose their shape.
- While lentils are cooking, stir together all the dressing ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Drain the lentils in a mesh colander (so that the lentils don't fall out the holes). Let cool to lukewarm (about 15 minutes), giving the colander a few shakes every couple of minutes so that they drain and cool faster.
- Remove the bay leaves, chunks of garlic, and thyme sprigs. Add the lentils to the dressing along with the onions, tomato, and radishes, and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover, and chill for at least half an hour to blend the flavors. When chilled, serve over lettuce, with additional oil and vinegar on the side for those who might want it.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings