These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Sweet and Sour Braised Red Cabbage
From Athens Locally Grown
<p>An old favorite with turkey, pork, or game, it’s also delicious in a completely vegetarian or vegan setting. Try pairing it with a potato dish for special oomph!</p>Source: Joy of Cooking, 2006 edition, and many other good cookbooks -- this is a classic recipe! (Entered by Janice Matthews)
Serves: 4 servings
Step by Step Instructions
- Quarter, core, and thinly shred the cabbage, then place it in a large bowl and cover it with cold water.
- In a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven over low heat, either cook the bacon until it has rendered most of its fat, or heat the butter or oil until it is fragrant.
- Cook the onion in the oil, stirring, until it is golden.
- Lift the cabbage out of the water and add it to the pan, along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is very soft (1 to 1 1/2 hours), adding boiling water if the mixture becomes dry during cooking. Or, if liquid is left when the cabbage is done, uncover the pot and cook gently until it is absorbed.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings