These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Long Stewed Red Kale
<p>This is my favorite kale recipe, and with bacon, cream and lemon zest in the ingredient list you can guess why.</p>Source: Alice Water's Vegetables BOOK (Entered by Justin Ellis)
Step by Step Instructions
- Cut bacon into small dice and render on low heat until brown about 8 minutes.
- Dice carrots, onion and garlic and add to bacon with splash of water.
- Cover and stew for about 10 min. until onion is translucent.
- Wash and chop kale coarsely. Can add other winter greens
- Add kale to vegetables at med-high heat for about 10 min and a pinch of salt. Kale will give off a lot of water.
- After nearly all water is evaporated add half the cream and simmer until it is absorbed completely.
- Add other half of cream and simmer again until absorbed. Add zest and serve.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings