These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Fried Green Tomatoe BLT
<p>Here’s a new twist on the classic <span class="caps">BLT</span>!</p>Source: Taste of the South's Collector's Issue - Southern Favorites (Entered by Ann Brown)
Serves: 4 sandwiches
Step by Step Instructions
- Place 1/4 cup flour in a shallow dish. Set aside.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup flour, cornmeal, 1/2 tsp sal and 1/4 tsp pepper in another shallow dish.
- In a third shallow dish, whisk egg with buttermilk.
- In a 10 inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Evenly sprinkle each tomato slice with remaining 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Dredge tomato slices in flour, then dip in buttermilk mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture. Fry tomatoes in batches until lightly browned and tender (3 to 4 minutes per side).
- To assemble sandwiches, evenly spread one side of each toasted bread slice with mayonnaise. Layer lettuce leaf, 3 slices bacon, and fried tomato. Top with remaining bread slice.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings