These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Sicilian Rice Balls (aka Arancini) with Mushrooms and Peas
From Statesboro Market2Go
<p>This recipe is the perfect vegan finger-food appetizer for a party! Please note that while the recipe itself is vegan, some of the bread and sauce choices listed below may not be Please consider leaving a picture or comment if you decide to try this recipe!</p>Source: forksoverknives.com (Entered by Ariana Giddens)
Serves: 16 rice balls
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the potato cubes into a steamer basket and into a saucepan. Add water until it is just below the basket and bring to a boil. Cover & steam for 15 minutes, then transfer to a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Combine the rice, 1 cup of marinara sauce, the milk, 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast (if using), and 2 of the minced garlic cloves in a saucepan. Simmer uncovered for 7 to 10 minutes. Once the liquid has been absorbed, season with salt & pepper to taste and stir the rice mixture into the potato mixture.
- To make the filling: Put the mushrooms, onion, and remaining garlic clove into a skillet and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Stir frequently, adding water in tablespoons to prevent sticking. Add the remaining nutritional yeast (if using), the peas, basil, thyme, crushed red pepper (if using), and salt to taste. Cook for 3 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the remaining breadcrumbs into a bowl. Shape ¼ cup rice mixture into a 2 to 2½ -inch patty. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the filling onto the middle of the patty. Roll the patty into a ball, then roll the ball in the breadcrumbs. Repeat until the process cannot be continued.
- Place the balls onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Heat the remaining marinara sauce and serve together.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings