These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Shrimp Corn Chowder
From Statesboro Market2Go
<p>A cozy seafood dish with a delightfully creamy texture! Please consider leaving a picture or comment if you decide to try this recipe!</p>Source: www.wellplated.com (modified slightly) (Entered by Ariana Giddens)
Step by Step Instructions
- Cook the bacon in a Dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat for 6 minutes. Set the bacon aside for serving and retain 1 tablespoon of bacon fat.
- Add the butter to the pot and melt it. set aside 1/4 cup of green onion tops for serving, then add the rest to the pot and add the celery. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes, add the garlic, salt, and pepper and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Sprinkle the flour over the top of the onion mixture and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Slowly pour in the milk, then add the corn kernels, cream-style corn, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir the mixture and let it reach a gentle boil and let it cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and let them cook for about 3 minutes
- Remove the chowder from the heat and stir in the thyme and half-and-half. Serve hot and top with the reserved green onion tops, bacon pieces, and hot sauce if desired and with a side of bread if desired.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings