These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Red, White, & Blue Salad
From Stones River Market
<p>Our recipe this week is from Chef Jenny with JENuineHealth. The peppery arugula, sweet fruit, creamy goat cheese, and lemon vinaigrette make this a real crowd pleaser. It’s a great festive salad to serve on the Fourth of July!</p>Source: Chef Jenny with JENuineHealth (Entered by John Erdmann)
Serves: Serves 4
Step by Step Instructions
- *See Tips below for how to slice the goat cheese. Make sure the goat cheese is cold when you slice it. It may help to put it in the freezer for a couple minutes before you slice it.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl and set aside.
- Dip one goat cheese coin at a time in the beaten egg, and then coat it with the crumbs. Place it on a plate. Follow same procedure for the other 7 goat cheese medallions. Place the plate of medallions in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up before frying.
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, agave, mustard, salt, and poppy seeds in another small bowl. Whisk and set in the refrigerator.
- Cover the bottom of a small non-stick fry pan with 1/4" of olive oil. Heat to medium. Gently fry two - three goat cheese medallions at a time. Remove and set on paper towels.
- Combine the arugula, mint leaves, and sprouts together. Line each plate with the greens mixture.
- Place 2 goat cheese medallions in the center of each bed of greens.
- Arrange the pears, watermelon, and blueberries around the goat cheese medallions.
- Sprinkle nuts over top and drizzle with the vinaigrette.
- Recipe Tips - Use a piece of dental flows to cut the goat cheese log into smooth circles. This is a tip I learned in culinary school. - You can use 2 packages of goat cheese if you want 4 goat cheese medallions per person. - If watermelon is not your thing, you can use strawberries instead. ** Non-Vegetarian Option - Serve your favorite white fish on the side drizzled with the lemon vinaigrette.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings