These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Sauteed Kale with Garlic and Onion (Melting Tuscan Kale)
From Stones River Market
<p>Browsing the internet, I found this recipe using products from the Market.</p>Source: Yummly and Kalyn's Kitchen (http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Sauteed-kale-with-garlic-and-onion-_melting-tuscan-kale_-309499) (Entered by John Erdmann)
Serves: Serves 2-3
Step by Step Instructions
- Chop the onion or shallots and finely mince the garlic, then heat oil in heavy frying pan until it's medium-hot and saute onion 3-4 minutes until it starts to brown. When onion is turning slightly brown, add garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- While onions and garlic cook, cut away the center rib from each kale leaf and discard. Chop or tear the kale leaves into bite-sized pieces, then wash and spin dry or dry with paper towels.
- Add chopped kale leaves to the browned onion/garlic mixture, season generously with salt and fresh ground black pepper, and let the kale wilt for 2-3 minutes, then add 1/2 cup water, stir, and let the kale cook in the water until the pan is almost dry, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup more water and cook kale 5-10 minutes more, then add a third 1/2 cup of water and cook kale 5-10 minutes more. After you've added water and cooked it off three times, taste to see if the kale is tender; if not, add water one more time and cook a bit longer.
- When kale is melt-in-your-mouth tender and the pan is nearly dry, season as desired with vinegar and serve hot or warm.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings