These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Rustic Corn bread Stuffing
From Athens Locally Grown
<p>Perfect for the Holiday Bird. This recipe is full of flavor, easy to prepare and screams “grandma made it” Most ingredients are available through the <span class="caps">ALG</span>, substitutions are welcome.</p>Source: Sylvan Falls Mill (Entered by Mike Johnson)
Serves: 6-8 cups of stuffing
Step by Step Instructions
- Day before or early morning make two pones of cornbread. Let sit out and dry. ( If in a hurry, make the bread, large dice and place in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes). Crumble and set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet, saute carrots, onions and peppers til soft(about 5 minutes). Add apples and cook for another two minutes.
- Whisk eggs and add lovage (if using celery, saute with onions).
- Combine the sauteed veggies with the cornbread crumble and stir in the eggs. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.( keep it light as the bird will add more flavors) Set aside while you ready the bird
- Stuff bird and bake as usual. Or if not using a bird, place in deep casserole and add 1-2 cups veggie or chicken stock. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Stuffing will have a crisp topping and moist center.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings