These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
From Statesboro Market2Go
<p>Vegan burgers made with turnips, scallions, and fresh herbs! Be sure to check out Market2Go’s ever expanding recipe section to find some homemade fry recipes to serve as a side and for Tahini sauce for topping. Please note that while the recipe itself is vegan, some of the breads choices listed below may not be. Please consider leaving a picture or comment if you decide to try this recipe!</p>Source: food52.com (modified slightly) (Entered by Ariana Giddens)
Serves: 5 patties
Step by Step Instructions
- Remove the greens from the turnips and set them aside. Cut off and discard the tips from the turnips. Wash the turnips and greens if necessary.
- Pulse bread in a food processor to make breadcrumbs, then set them aside. Chop up the turnips, then pulse them in the food processor. Add the scallion, garlic herbs of choice, salt, and the turnip greens to the food processor and pulse until they are all well combined. Add the rice and pulse again.
- Put the turnip mix into a large bowl, then add 1 1/2 cups of breadcrumbs and the 1/3 cup of seed mix. Mix until combined, add more breadcrumbs if the mix is too wet and add more salt if you feel it necessary. Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to make 5 patties, then chill the patties until you're ready to cook them.
- When ready to cook, place 2 large saute pans over high heat and add oil for fry to both of them. Season the turnip patties with salt & pepper to taste, then start adding patties to the pans. Immediately turn heat down to medium or medium low and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. If your pans are big enough you can cook 2 to 3 patties at a time.
- Serve on buns with Tahini sauce and pickles.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings