These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Creamy Turnip Soup
From Statesboro Market2Go
<p>This delicious creamy soup is a great way to enjoy vegetables during cold weather! Please consider leaving a picture or comment if you decide to try this recipe!</p>Source: www.tasteofhome.com (modified slightly) (Entered by Ariana Giddens)
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat the butter in a Dutch oven over medium high heat, then add the onion and cook until it is tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the wine and bring it to a boil.
- When the liquid in the Dutch oven has reduce by half, add the turnips, broth, and potato. Let the mixture come to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer uncovered for roughly 20 minutes.
- Let the soup has cooled slightly, run it through a food processor in batches until all of it is smooth.
- Return the soup to the Dutch oven, stir in the half & half cream, salt, and nutmeg. Allow the soup to heat through once again.
- While the soup heats through, heat the oil in a skillet and cook the spinach, frequently stirring. Serve the spinach alongside or atop the soup. Serve the soup with bread if desired.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings