These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
From Superior Seasons
<p>A Jewish vegetarian dish that is a fall back to nights when I don’t really feel like cooking. It’s a family favourite!!</p>Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakshouka (Entered by Jeannie Rempel)
Serves: 4 servings
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add cumin and paprika and cook stirring often for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, hot peppers and water, and cook for approximately 20-30 minutes. If you are adding chick peas - add them now.
- Break open eggs in separate dish and add one at a time to mixture.
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook about 5 minutes or until eggs are cooked. Baste eggs with liquid without breaking the yolk.
- Put shakshuka into bowls and crumble feta on top and serve.
- We often eat this with toast and hummus.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings